#27: Manchurian Candidate
About This Episode
- Don King‘s Ohio training compound is close to Mike Tyson‘s Ohio abandoned mansion with tiger cages in Trumbull, OH
- Indian Government To Ban Use of US Email Services For Official Communications
- Sponsorship opportunity #1: Gunnar Advanced Computer Eyewear
- Life imitating art? From 2011: The Onion: Facebook “Is Truly A Dream Come True For The CIA”
- NSA compromised crypto standards?
- Tencent is giving away 10 TB worth of free cloud storage, Baidu and Qihoo 360 offer 1 TB
- Bruce Schneier on conspiracy theories
- “Secrets belong to a small assortment of individuals, and inevitably become hostage to private agendas.” — Malcolm Gladwell
- Watch Ask a Korean dismantle Malcolm Gladwell
- Praveen Swami in 2010: Wikileaks ‘secrets’ reveal the paranoid mindset of internet activists obsessed with conspiracies
- There’s always HavenCo
- Career advice PSA: Public cloud salesmen should not flock to be smart watch salesmen
- OhioState’s calculus MOOC is on GitHub
- Dave presenting via web with David A. Wheeler and Josh Davis at GovLoop Government Innovators Virtual Summit on September 10
- Gunnar keynotes NC DataPalooza on September 12
- Dave receiving AFCEA DC AFCEAN of the Month award at AFCEA DC’s Monthly Luncheon on September 16
- Dave as panelist at GovLoop Agency of the Future on September 17
- Gunnar presenting at NIST Cloud Computing and Mobility workshop on October 1-3
- Dave as panelist at Symantec Government Symposium on October 2
- Gartner ITxpo on October 6-10
- Red Hat Government Symposium registration now open!
- Illinois Government Website Offers Klingon Translation, but not Vulcan
- Related: Star Trek III is back on Netflix streaming but Dave and Lauren don’t see the Klingon or Vulcan subtitle options on our Roku
- Movie of the week: There Will Be Blood
- A Partner We Like: Booz Allen Hamilton’s US Army Red Hat Summit Innovation Award video and success story are now live!
- Concerning trend: First the NFL, now IT suffers from the consequences repeated head trauma
- Sponsorship opportunity #2: The Economist app is amazing: articles in their distinctive font, and podcasting all rolled into one
- Sponsorship opportunity #3: We learn what “peening” is, and it’s not as inappropriate as you might think, thanks to Trey Oats and Adam Clater
- Parenting lesson learned: Don’t be a helicopter LUG parent and let your child find her own presenters
Cutting Room Floor
- “Major Says” lives!
- Eric Mill of Sunlight posts a how-to for adding HTTPS your website for $0
- Mark Bohannon‘s Open Source in Government update
We Give Thanks
- Jim Fowler for making math education even more interesting and useful.
- Trey Oats and Adam Clater for peening best practices.
- Mel McGee for answering Lauren’s call to present on wearable computing at the Akron LUG!