#13: Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz is German for winning Scrabble.
June 6th, 2013
57 mins 32 secs
About this Episode
This week, Dave and Gunnar talk about: NYC Checkbook, passwords, FSF getting silly, open source dying, killing patent trolls with fire, RHEL6 STIGs, Rasberry Pi, and next week’s Red Hat Summit.
- NYC Checkbook 2.0
- LinkedIn adds two step verification
- Anatomy of a hack: How crackers ransack passwords like “qeadzcwrsfxv1331”
- FSF’s insane campaign against regulations.gov
- Monty thinks open source is dying
- Patent troll attacks podcasting
- “The farther over goal they are, the safer I feel.” — Roman Mars of 99% Invisible
- White House Trollhunt
- USPTO + StackExchange == Crazy Delicious
- Gunnar and Luke interview Phase2 about Drupal on FedOSS
- Defense in Depth Workshop June 26 in Tysons Corner, VA
- RHEL6 STIG! STIG!
- Pi and Pigs: Lauren and Dave’s interview with Element 14’s community team
- Lauren’s summer job: Case Western Reserve University’s think[box] institute for collaboration and innovation
- Lil’ G-man using Scratch with his makeymakey and Playdoh (action photo)
- Raspberry Pi puts holes in China’s Great Firewall
- Raspberry Pi + rocket launcher == one step closer to world domination
- Pidora is a part of Dave, Lauren, and Dan Walsh’s secret project
- Red Hat Summit 5K: run with Jim Whitehurst and benefit The One Fund Boston
- Word of the day: Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz
- German for “law for the delegation of monitoring beef labelling”
- Formally dropped, but feel free to use it anyhow, especially when playing Scrabble in German
- Hear the proper pronounciation here
- Longest word ever composed in German: Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft
- German for “Association for Subordinate Officials of the Head Office Management of the Danube Steamboat Electrical Services”
- The longest word in the Oxford Dictionary of English is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
- Is the English Language open source?
- The “Story of English” on PBS
Cutting Room Floor
- We’re the #1 search result for “alliteration and vampires” on Google
- Colonizing the internet, one keyword at a time!
- Developer codes VNC-over-GIF tool… in 37 (but growing) lines of code!
- Atari video game burial site to be excavated
We Give Thanks
- Karl Fogel for writing the Checkbook 2.0 article
- Eric Sorenson and Lil’G Man for sharing their computer science research
- Will Cordis for the password cracking article tweet
- Gunnar’s Dad for the Rasberry Pi
- The Element 14 Community Team for taking the time to interview Lauren and inspire kids and adults around the world