90% of Everything Is Crap
December 3rd, 2020
53 mins 5 secs
About this Episode
This week Dave and Gunnar talk about hacking faces, hacking locks, and hacking video conferencing
- What's new in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.3? Enhanced container tools, more system roles and new cloud admin tools just for starters
- Chromecast with Google TV: Bug, feature, or dark pattern?
- Rotten Tomatoes scores
- Search not as good as JustWatch
- But it has Hoopla
- D&G This Week in Vendor Abandonment: Google Play Music
- D&G Viewer Mail
- Ken Guest writes, “Listening to episode 210 @davidegts, @ghelleks podcast, specifically about Google Home presence detection - have you looked at Home Assistant? It might give you better fidelity for same.”
- Andrew Stellman writes, “Reminded of that quote from the Yellowstone Park ranger about the overlap between the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.”
- See also: Quote by a forest ranger at Yosemite National Park on why it is hard to design the perfect garbage bin to keep bears from breaking into it: "There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists."
- Epiphany: Vyzer isn’t for the rich -- it’s for the hired help of the rich
- South Park creators have a new political satire series with some of the best AI-generated deepfakes on the internet yet
- D&G This Week Not at Ben Gurion University
- Mmhmm: This app makes presenting in Zoom more effective—and even entertaining
- When COVID-19 is a joke: Stand-up comedy versus livestreaming’s limits
- Sturgeon's law: “90% of everything is crap”
Cutting Room Floor
We Give Thanks
- Ken Guest for the Google Home tips!
- Andrew Stellman for the reminder about optimal garbage can design!
- The D&G Show Slack Clubhouse for the discussion topics!