#36: “Totally on Board”
December 10th, 2013
1 hr 4 mins 37 secs
About this Episode
This week, Dave and Gunnar talk about: Audio hacking, Nexus 5 hacking, currency hacking, OpenShift Enterprise 2.0 hacking, lake monsters, and a new segment: the Security Dog House.
- Red Hat Canada Thanksgiving greetings remind Dave of lessons learned from The Last Lecture
- Today in Audio Hacking: Scientist-developed malware prototype covertly jumps air gaps using inaudible sound
- D&G Beard of the Week: Matt Micene‘s first video interview including a Hellekson’s Law cameo
- Polarized sunglasses + horizontal Nexus 5 = navigation in darkness
- Lauren’s Republic Wireless Moto X seems really nice so far
- Unlocked 16 GB Moto G on Amazon for $200
- Google dead man switch: Inactive Account Manager
- Google searches for thoughtcrimes
- Google releases always on voice search for Chrome
- Twitter Announces “Tailored Audiences” For Ad Retargeting
- D&G PSA of the week: Install AdBlock Plus and disable 3rd party cookies
- Build your own surveillance state
- UPDATE: Encrypt the Web Report: Who’s Doing What with missing column
- Comedy laden, target rich environment: “Hello Santa” Offers A Memorable, But Pricey, Video Call With A Real-Life Santa
- Dave writes movie script, Gunnar comes up with a fresh twist on an existing business idea
- A Prediction: Bitcoin Is Doomed to Fail, just like other non-government backed currencies such as gold and tulip bulbs
- Red Hat Summit registration now open!
- Gunnar makes annual pilgrimage to Vegas for Gartner Data Center boondoggle, December 9-12
- Awesome Red Hat Support Tool video
- RHEL and Fedora security features matrix
- HT Frank Dachille: Red Hat and Google Compute Engine – Extending the Datacenter
- OpenShift Enterprise 2.0 coming December 11
- NASA (in particular Rich Rinehart of NASA Glenn for his Mars Opera kickstarter
- FlightAware Misery Map
- ParkWhiz.com is awesome
- HT Dave’s wife: D&G Security Doghouse Company of the Week: National Center for Safety Initiatives for them asking clients to “email a photo of your driver’s license, passport, state ID”, looking like a government agency, and the web site’s autoplay of Charlie Brown funeral music
You recently submitted a criminal background screening request to National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI). In order to continue with the review of your file, NCSI needs important information from you.
Please submit a physical copy of ONE of the following forms of government issued ID documents to NCSI’s Compliance Department as soon as possible:
1.) Valid Driver’s License
3.) State Issued Id
You may scan the document, take a photo and upload it, or even take a photo with your cell phone and send it to us. We accept .jpg, .pdf, .doc, and .png file formats. The following are the contacts for electronic submissions:
E-mail and digital upload are preferred, as the image tends to come through more clearly and we are able to complete your screen more quickly. Please keep in mind that if you do not have a scanner, digital camera, or camera phone, many libraries have a scanner that is available to the public.
If you are absolutely unable to submit your ID using any of the above methods, you may send your ID via fax to 1-(440) 542-9833. Please note that faxes can come through unclear, and faxing your ID rather than submitting electronically may cause your screening to be delayed. “If you are faxing the request please include a cover page with your name and daytime phone number. Also, if you choose to fax, please enlarge and/or brighten the image so it is clear to read. If we cannot read your ID and you do not provide your name and number, we do not know who to contact to request a clear copy.
Your background screening cannot be completed until NCSI receives the required documentation from you. To avoid further delay, your prompt response to this request is necessary and appreciated. Please allow 2-3 days receipt and processing of your document. During this time, please continue to check your status at www.ncsisafe.com
Yours in safety,
National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI)
- Suitable for framing in your doomsday bunker: The Lake Monsters of America
- Bessie the Lake Erie monster
- Lake Erie Monsters minor league hockey team in Cleveland
- Lake Worth Monster goat man
- Almost related: Mothman and The Mothman Prophecies
Cutting Room Floor
- Action Figure Resume
- NASA writes to Coke+Mentos Rocket Designer
- Cheese made from feet, belly buttons, and tears
- Venn menu
- The Largest Island in the Largest Lake in the Largest Island in the Largest Lake in North America
- Google BBS simulator
- Awesome airplane simulators.
- Awesome waiting-in-line simulators.
We Give Thanks
- Red Hat Canada, Matt Micene, Frank Dachille, Rich Rinehart, and Mrs. Egts for giving us things to be thankful for and to talk about