#67: “Your encryption is useless, Charlie Brown”
November 11th, 2014
56 mins 4 secs
About this Episode
This week Dave and Gunnar talk about encrypting everything, why encryption doesn’t matter, and why we are all Charlie Brown now.
- UK spy chief, parroting his US counterparts, calls for crypto backdoors
- End-to-End Gmail Encryption code is up.
- New from the EFF: Secure Messaging Scorecard
- Update for 2020 (HT Lydia Yates of Comparitech!): The best encrypted messaging apps (and their limitations) in 2020
- PrivacyGrade: Grading The Privacy Of Smartphone Apps
- Verizon and AT&T “supercookie” MITM attack. See if you’re being tracked at the obviously named amibeingtracked.com.
- D&G bait of the week: Dropbox’s Drew Houston Responds To Snowden’s Privacy Criticism: It’s A Trade-Off
- Aerophobia meets claustrophobia: Windowless Planes Will Give Passengers Panoramic Views. Ready To Use Within 10 Years.
- Yay? Why Facebook Just Launched Its Own ‘Dark Web’ Site
- Check your Hilton HHonors Points: Hackers plunder Hilton ‘HHonors’ rewards points, go on shopping spree
- ORNL and Dave’s replay: GovLoop: How Open Source Can Help Overcome Government’s Biggest Challenges
- OpenStack User Survey November 2014 are out. We maintain the vast majority of technologies used in computer, network, and storage, and 40% of the user base. Sweet!
- Heroism as anti-pattern: “VPAT is Public Sector specific, and therefore all previous cases have been resolved successfully by referring to Gunnar.”
- Ben Balter’s guide to communicating on GitHub works even without GitHub.
- EFF guide to avoiding surveillance includes not just articles, but “playlists” based on user stories.
Cutting Room Floor
- Good Grief! Cancer Boy! is a strange little film reveals the utter futility of Charlie Brown’s very existence – in German!
- Related: Nein Quarterly
- Movie trailer of the week: Daylight Saving
- Scientific paper of the week: The hipster effect:When anticonformists all look the same
- YouTube Flight Training of the week: Practice landing a Boeing with a charming Lithuanian accent.